AU AU-MTC 102/10
- 1890-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Loose papers, pamphlets, news clippings and photographs
Name of creator
The Church of England Historical Society in the Diocese of Sydney was formed in 1955 after an exhibition of items held by the Royal Australian Historical Society was held at St Stephen's Church, Newtown. The inaugural meeting was held at St Stephen's Rectory on November 4th, 1955, with Archbishop H.W.K. Mowll as Patron and President. The Journal commenced publication the following year. The name was changed to the Anglican Historical Society in 1999 to reflect the change in name of the Anglican Church of Australia.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Newspapers, parish papers, pamphlets, year books and photographs relating to Australian dioceses and parishes within those dioceses.
Diocese of Perth - St George's Cathedral
Diocese of Bunbury
Diocese of Adelaide
Diocese of Adelaide - Church Guardian newspaper 1957-1968
Diocese of Adelaide - Holy Trinity Church
Diocese of the Northern Territory - includes photos of Northern Territory churches provided by Kathryn Hemsley
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Grouped by diocese although not alphabetically. Within some diocesan collections there are parish folders which are alphabetical.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access