Série 067/9 - Sydney Diocesan Synod Standing Committee on the role of Deaconess House

Zone d'identification

Cote

AU AU-MTC 067/9

Titre

Sydney Diocesan Synod Standing Committee on the role of Deaconess House

Date(s)

  • 1968- (Production)
  • 1968-1969 (Accumulation)

Niveau de description

Série

Étendue matérielle et support

Loose papers

Zone du contexte

Nom du producteur

(1891-2011)

Histoire administrative

Inaugurated in 1891 in St Marys, Balmain. The name 'Bethany' was used in the early years but the official title was approximately The Church of England Deaconess Institution Sydney Limited. Incorporated as Anglican Deaconess Institution Limited (ADSIL) in 1996, the Institution adopted a CEO and a more corporate and independent constitution in 2008, and was renamed Anglican Deaconess Ministries Limited in 2011

Nom du producteur

(1915-1996)

Notice biographique

Mary Maria Andrews was born at Dry Plain Station (near Cooma, NSW) in 1915 to Albert and Ann Andrews. The family moved to Mittagong in 1925 then Sydney in 1927 for educational purposes following the separation of her parents. Mary was educated at Homebush Intermediate High School and later Hornsby Girls' High. She underwent training as a General Nurse at Gladesville Mental Hospital from 1933-1935, . studied at Sydney Missionary and Bible College from 1935-6 and was a resident at Deaconess house from 1937-8 at the recommendation of the Church Missionary Society of Australia (CMS), to which she had applied as a missionary to China in 1937.
Sailing to China in September 1938, she engaged in language learning at the College of Chinese Studies in Peiping (which was under Japanese occupation at the time) and later in Lin Hai, where she performed missionary work until she was forced to leave in late 1943 in fear of Japanese troops. She worked in Lahore, India, during 1944, and returned to Australia on furlough in 1946, during which time she was 'set apart' as a Deaconess. She returned to China in June 1947, working as a missionary in Shaohsing until she was forced to leave due to pressure from the Communist government in 1951.
Following her missionary career she continued to be heavily involved in CMS Candidates and General Committees and was a committed supporter of the South American Missionary Society (SAMS) and served on their Candidates and Pastoral Committee.
She began work as the Principal of Deaconess House in 1951, and was commissioned as Head Deaconess in the Diocese of Sydney in early 1952. As Principal, she oversaw a dramatic expansion of the institution in both physical size and occupancy. She held the position until her reluctant retirement in 1975. Many of the women who trained at Deaconess House continued to correspond with her, confide in her and shares the joys and trials of ministry with her until her life's end.
She then took on the role of part-time chaplain to three retirement villages - Goodwin Village, Woollahra (where she also resided); Elizabeth Lodge, Kings Cross, and St John's Village, Glebe. Not only did she conduct Bible studies and hold devotional meetings with the residents but she also encouraged them to give generously to missions, other Christian work and organisations for the aged. Additionally, she increased her involvement in a number of ecumenical and women's associations and was a fixture at these for the remainder of her life. Material found in her papers suggests that she supported the Healing Ministry at St Andrews Cathedral, Basilea Schlink of Darmstadt and that she attended the Billy Graham Crusade in 1979.
In 1980 she was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) for her Services to Religion.
Mary Andrews throughout her career and ministry was a strong proponent of greater inclusion of women into church life. She was actively involved in the events leading up to a number of milestones, including an increased prominence of the Deaconess order, the inclusion of women in the Anglican synod, and the ordination of women as Anglican Deacons. Late in her life she was fiercely in favour of the ordination of women as priests, and was a member of the Movement for the Ordination of Women (MOW).
She had a healthy interest in a wide range of Christian beliefs and recorded broadcast interviews of Chrisians from Roman Catholic, Anglican, Pentecostal, and various other Christian denominations from Australia and abroad.
Recreationally she enjoyed traditional hymns, English Cathedral music and when time permitted attended performing arts particularly 'classical' music. In fact she entered into correspondence occasionally regarding the programs of concerts and the choice of operas if she thought they were unsuitable. She also had a life-long interest in photography and left behind an exhaustive documentation of the work of Deaconess House, the organisations that she was involved with, her many overseas trips, significant occasions in the ministry of former students and friends and of women's ministry in general.
She died on the 16th of October 1996, a few weeks after the 50th anniversary of her 'setting apart' as a Deaconess.

Histoire archivistique

Collected by Mary Andrews and transferred with her papers

Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert

Zone du contenu et de la structure

Portée et contenu

The Committee was established by Synod resolution 10/1968 at the meetings in October 1968. The role of the Committee was " to Confer with the Council of the Deaconess Institution with regard to the implementations as set out in the Archbishop's Commission Report 1964 and report to Standing Committee before the next session of Synod." The Committee was chaired by Justice Athol
Richardson. Members included the Head Deaconess and 9 other lay and Clerical members. It appears that the Committee first met on 24 February 1969. Key considerations were whether Deaconess House should be governed by an ordinance of Synod and whether it could benefit from a closer relationship with Moore Theological College. An information pack of 17 items was provided for members The committee met several times during 1969 and suggested an expansion of the House Management Committee to include members elected by Synod and the Archbishop. There was no agreement between the Committee and Council and it was recommended that the discussions do not proceed.
It appears that this is Mary Andrews' copy of the Committee meetings and that the official records would be held by the Diocese of Sydney
Also a file that appears to be working papers for the same Committee. Contains many papers concerning Deaconess House and Women's Ministry including the role and curriculum of Deaconess House and statistical material concerning graduates.

Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation

Accroissements

Mode de classement

Chronological

Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

Conditions d’accès

Access restricted. Permission of the Diocese of Sydney [archivist or Diocesan Secretary] required

Conditions de reproduction

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Notes sur la langue et l'écriture

Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques

Instruments de recherche

Zone des sources complémentaires

Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux

Existence et lieu de conservation des copies

Unités de description associées

Descriptions associées

Zone des notes

Note

Series 39

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle de la description

Identifiant de la description

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision, de suppression

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Genres associés

Lieux associés

Localisation physique

  • Tablette: C 14