AU AU-MTC 096/1
- 1900-1997 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Name of creator
Now called the Reformed Evangelical Anglican Church of South Africa, it is not recognised by the Anglican Communion but maintains strong links with the Diocese of Sydney. The established Church of the Province of South Africa was formed in 1870. In 1938, with help and advice from Archbishop H.W.K. Mowll, the Church of England in South Africa adopted a federal Constitution. In practice the Church is organised as one Diocese with a Bishop and Area or Assistant Bishops. Bishop Stephen Bradley was an Australian who came to South Africa in the 1930s and was Presiding Bishop from 1965-1984.
Donated by Peter Spartalis after the completion of his MTh thesis in 1990.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This collection relates to the history of the Church of England in South Africa, and consists of photocopies of correspondence, minutes and reports, publications and newspaper articles. It was collected by Peter James Spartalis for his MTh thesis “From Silvertrees to Lambeth: The Australian connection and the Church of England in South Africa 1933-1948” awarded by the Australian College of Theology in 1990. A copy of the thesis is available for in-library use only in the Moore College Library.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Roughly chronological within each series
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Copies of official church records may require the permission of the Reformed Evangelical Anglican Church of South Africa.