Marella Mission Farm

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidad colectiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

Marella Mission Farm

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

  • Sky Pilot Fellowship

Identificadores para instituciones

Área de descripción

Fechas de existencia

1949-1986

Historia

Marella Mission originated with Gwen and Keith Langford-Smith accommodating Aboriginal foster children on their farm property at Kellyville. Marella was conducted as part of The Sky Pilot Fellowship, which formally commenced on May 23rd, 1949 with Keith Langford-Smith as permanent Director and member of Council. The main activity of The Sky Pilot Fellowship was initially evangelical radio broadcasts. Marella was maintained by fund raising activities and donations received through The Sky Pilot Fellowship. Marella's general administration from 1950-1986 was assumed by its Secretary-Treasurer, Norma Warwick. On October 7th, 1954, The Sky Pilot Fellowship, Ltd., was formed, commencing operation as a non-profit making company on April l st 1955. Since this Company was not exempt from Land Tax, on April 19th, 1978, Marella Mission Farm Ltd. took over the assets and liabilities of The Sky Pilot Fellowship Ltd., so that the land at Kellyville could be donated. At this time, the farm at Kellyville ceased operating as a foster home, with the children being places in Church of England group homes nearer the city. Marella continued to function as a sponsoring organisation to the Church of England Homes "Marella Project" with a seat on the Marella Management Committee.
In 1978 the site was taken over by Parramatta Regional Mission, run by the Uniting Church of Australia, who renamed it Koompartoo Mission Farm. The mission cared for homeless teenage boys, and operated there until 1986. Marella Mission Farm was later subdivided. It is bounded by present day York Road, Presidents Avenue, Green Road and Marella Avenue. It contains the Bernie Mullane Sporting Complex and YMCA, Kellyville High School and housing.
Further information is available on Find and Connect http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01291

The mission was named 'Marella' after a ship - the SS Marella, which was owned by Burns Philip & Co. and sailed between Sydney and Singapore via Darwin. Many missionaries used it to travel to the mission at Roper River. The ship had originally belonged to the German Kaiser and was captured by the Australian navy during World War 1. (Sky Pilot News, June 1970)

Lugares

Kellyville, NSW

Estatuto jurídico

Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

Estructura/genealogía interna

Contexto general

Área de relaciones

Entidad relacionada

Langford-Smith, Keith (1907-1981)

Identificador de la entidad relacionada

Categoría de la relación

jerárquica

Tipo de relación

Langford-Smith, Keith

es el propietario de

Marella Mission Farm

Fechas de la relación

1949 - 1978

Descripción de la relación

Área de puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Occupations

Área de control

Identificador de registro de autoridad

031

Identificador de la institución

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

Notas de mantención

  • Portapapeles

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Materias relacionadas

Lugares relacionados