- 1970 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 bound volume
Name of creator
St John’s Church is a heritage-listed neo-gothic building which was opened in 1858. The spire was designed by Edmund Blacket and was added in 1871. In 1986 the parishes of Darlinghurst and East Sydney were merged to form the Parish of East Sydney with St John’s Darlinghurst and St Peter’s Woolloomooloo. St Peter’s was deconsecrated in 1993 and the building sold to SCEGGS Darlinghurst. The parish includes the 3rd wealthiest and 5th poorest suburbs in Sydney. St John’s Church operated a number of community outreach programs including PJ’s café & drop-in centre, and since 1996, Rough Edges safe space for homeless and disadvantaged people. East Sydney Community Services was sponsored by St John’s and ran the 118 AIDS hostel along with HMS Care Force from 1987 to 1990. The hostel provided accommodation and support services for people who were waiting for the results of their AIDS test.
Rev. John McKnight was Rector from 1984-1989, succeeded by Rev. W.J. Lawton 1989-1999
Name of creator
The Diocese of Australia was divided into four dioceses: Sydney, Adelaide, Newcastle and Melbourne, by letters patent in 1847. The diocese has been led by an archbishop since 1897.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Handbook produced by Sydney Diocese for ministers. With handwritten annotations.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access