AU AU-MTC 001/35
- 1905-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Bound volumes, loose papers and metal keys
Name of creator
Moore Theological College (M.T.C.), Australia's oldest theological college, began tuition in the home of Thomas Moore (1762-1840) at Liverpool on March 1st, 1856. Moore was a wealthy pastoralist and benefactor of the early Church of England in Australia who bequeathed property and funds for the establishment of a theological training college. The Reverend William A. Hodgson was the first tutor of the new college, which remained at its Liverpool site until 1888. For three years the College was closed, re-opening at its present Newtown site in 1891. The "Moore Theological College Ordinance of 1919" placed the government of the College under the Church of England Synod, and established a committee to administer its various functions. In 1921, a Synod Ordinance was passed empowering the College's Trustees to use the Liverpool assets for the Newtown College's use. In 1933 a Board of Reference was established to assess prospective applicants, and 1937 saw the establishment of the College's Women's Auxiliary.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Cathedral Psalter and Book of Common Prayer, keys to chapel and chapel cupboard, register of services, financial records and correspondence.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement