St Peter's Church, Woolloomooloo

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St Peter's Church, Woolloomooloo

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The foundation stone of St Peter’s Anglican Church was laid on the 1st of May 1866 on the corner of Anne and Bourke streets at Woolloomooloo (now Darlinghurst) by the Governor Sir John Young (1807-1876) and was officially opened on the 25th of July 1867 by the Bishop of Sydney, Frederic Barker. In 1986 the parish was merged with St John's Darlinghurst to form the Parish of East Sydney. The church was deconsecrated in 1993 and the building purchased by Sydney Church of England Girls' Grammar School (SCEGGS) Darlinghurst.


Woolloomooloo, NSW

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

St John's Church, Darlinghurst (1858-)

Identifier of the related entity


Category of the relationship


Type of relationship

St John's Church, Darlinghurst

is the associate of

St Peter's Church, Woolloomooloo

Dates of the relationship


Description of relationship

St Peter's and St John's formed part of the same parish from 1986-1993.

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places