Mostrando 972 resultadosRegistro de autoridad
William Newton was born in Lancashire, studied at Cambridge and was ordained in Llandaff in 1861. He emigrated to Australia in 1871 and worked in parishes in Macleay River and Gulgong. After returning to England to work in Stanstead, Essex (1889-1890) he returned to Sydney as the headmaster of St Philip's Grammar School. He then served as curate of St Matthew's Botany (1896-1897) and minister of St James Pitt Town and St John Wilberforce with Sackville Reach (1897-1911).
Francis Bertie Boyce (1844-1931), Anglican clergyman, was born on 6 April 1844 at Tiverton, Devon, England, son of Francis Boyce, accountant, and his wife Frances, née Dunsford. After studying at Moore Theological College, Liverpool, under William Hodgson and R. L. King, he was made deacon by Bishop Barker on 21 December 1868 and ordained priest on 19 December 1869. Boyce was stationed in western New South Wales, soon to be the diocese of Bathurst: he served at Georges Plains (1868), with Blayney attached (1869), Molong and Wellington (1873), and from 1875 at Orange. On 5 July 1871 at Georges Plains he married Caroline (d.1918), daughter of William Stewart of Athol, near Blayney. After two years in the industrial parish of St Bartholomew, Pyrmont, where he gained his first insight into slum housing, Boyce was appointed to St Paul's, Redfern. He was president of the New South Wales Alliance for the Suppression of Intemperance in 1891-1915 and leader of the New South Wales Council of Churches in 1911-17 and 1926-27. An ardent Imperialist, he was first president of the British Empire League in Australia in 1901 and also in 1909-11, and helped to bring about the proclamation of Empire Day in 1905.Boyce resigned his parish in 1930 and died at Blackheath on 27 May 1931. He was survived by two sons of his first marriage, and by his second wife Ethel Elizabeth, née Rossiter, widow of Captain Burton, R.N.R., whom he had married on 8 September 1920.
K. J. Cable, 'Boyce, Francis Bertie (1844–1931)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/boyce-francis-bertie-5319/text8983, published first in hardcopy 1979, accessed online 17 August 2016.
Paul Hamilton Hume White was born in Bowral on 26th February 1910 and educated at Sydney Grammar School and Sydney University where he studied medicine. In 1926 he attended a tent meeting held by the Irish evangelist W.P. Nicholson and was converted. In 1936 he married Mary Bellingham and in 1938 they sailed to Tanganyika (Tanzania) as missionaries with the Church Missionary Society. They returned to Australia in 1941 due to Mary's illness. Paul became the secretary of CMS, and began to broadcast the Jungle Doctor Broadcasts and write the Jungle Doctor books. From 1943 he was Honorary Secretary General of the Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship (IVF) and President several times. He was also involved in the Crusader Union and Scripture Union, and founded African Enterprise. Mary died in 1970 and Paul married Ruth Longe in 1971. He and Mary had two children, David and Rosemary. He died of a heart attack on 21st December 1992.
S.M. Johnstone was born in Wicklow, Ireland, and educated in Dublin, London and Belfast. He was ordained in Sydney in 1904. He was General Secretary of the Church Missionary Association from 1910-1911 and then Rector of St John's Parramatta from 1911-1935. In 1926 he became the editor of the Sydney Diocesan Magazine, and from 1936-1949 served as Archdeacon of Sydney. Between 1939 and 1943 he was also honorary organising secretary of the Church of England National Emergency Fund (CENEF). He died in Victoria and is buried in Prospect church cemetery.
The son of Samuel Martin Johnstone and his wife Elyne, J.R.L. Johnstone was born September 15th 1914 in Parramatta and baptised at St John's Cathedral. He was educated at the King's School, Moore Theological College and the University of Sydney, where he studied law. He was ordained in 1940 and served in the parishes of Pymble, Mosman, Carlingford and Beecroft. From 1942-1982 he was Rector of St John's Beecroft and Cheltenham. He was also visiting lecturer in church law at Moore College 1948-1964, as well as Canon of St Andrew's Cathderal from 1963.
- Entidad colectiva
St John's Church was opened and consecrated in 1906 as a branch church of St Michael's Cathedral, Wollongong.