Showing 529 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
The Auxiliary Bible Society of Australia Felix was formed in 1840 - when the colony of Victoria was established the auxiliary changed their name to the Victorian Auxiliary. The Auxiliary was incorporated in 1965 and changed its name to The Bible Society in Australia (Victoria) in 1977.
- Active 1830s
Captain Henry Waterhouse (1770-1812) arrived in the colony with the First Fleet, as a midshipman on board Captain Phillip’s ship Sirius. He accompanied Phillip to Norfolk Island and on expeditions inland. After returning to England on the Supply in 1792, Governor Hunter appointed him captain of the Reliance and he sailed to Sydney again in 1795. Waterhouse imported the first Spanish merino sheep to the colony in 1797, and supplied lambs to many settlers including John Macarthur and Samuel Marsden. He supported the governor against the officers of the New South Wales Corps and was given several land grants. He would have made Moore’s acquaintance during this time, before
returning to England in 1800, where he lived near Rochester, Kent until his death. He was a witness at the marriage of his sister to George Bass and a friend of Matthew Flinders.
- active 1900s