- Corporate body
The NSW Auxiliary of the British and Foreign Bible Society was formed in 1817. The first meeting was held on 7th March, making it the oldest continuously operating organization in Australia. The Tasmanian Auxiliary was formed in 1819, followed by the Victorian Auxiliary in 1840, the SA Auxiliary in 1845 and the Queensland Auxiliary in 1855. The state Auxiliaries jointly formed a Commonwealth Council in 1925, which met annually. The affairs of the British and Foreign Bible Society were carried out in Australia by powers of attorney. In 1976 a constitution was drawn up and 'The Bible Society in Australia' was incorporated, with the Commonwealth Council being renamed the Australian Council. The stated aim of the Society was 'to promote and encourage the wider circulation, distribution and use of the Holy Scriptures...without doctrinal note or comment throughout the world..." A National Youth Division, Translation Department and Mission Support Division carried out the work of the Society, with State Secretaries in charge of each state division. It became and continues to be a member of the United Bible Societies. In 2010 the state divisions were dissolved to form a national organization - Bible Society Australia. The Bible Society Australia group now includes Koorong, Eternity newspaper and the Centre for Public Christianity.